Progress of the Project
The Permanent Secretary Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF) constituted a substantive Technical Committee headed by the Manager Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Department at NAADS Secretariat- Dr. Francis Byekwaso. The Technical Committee comprised of MAAIF officials, Ministry of Gender Labour and Social Development, Makerere University and Office of the President. Its main purpose is to oversee the implementation of the National Farmers Leadership Center.
2. Selection of the Site
Fifty acres (50) of land was earmarked at Kampiringisa Juvenile Rehabilitation Centre in Mpigi district on which the NFLC is to be constructed.
3. MOU between the Republic of Uganda and the Republic of Korea signed.
The Government of the Republic of Korea through the Korea International Development Agency (KOICA) and the Republic of Uganda represented by the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development signed an MOU on 19/04/2011 to establish the National Farmers Leadership Centre at Kampiringisa- Mpigi District.
4. Surveying of Land and acquiring of the land title.
A survey team designated by Ministry of Lands, Housing and Urban Development under the supervision of the Interim Technical Committee surveyed the land.
The 50 acres were demarcated from the 372 acres of the Rehabilitation Centre. The was transferred from Ministry of Gender, labour and Social Development to the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries and the land title was acquired.
Fencing of the Project Site
The Korean experts on visiting the site asked for clear marking of the boundaries to help in easy identification of the site area. Pillars were erected; the land has been cleared and fencing is ongoing
5. Design and supervision services for construction of the National Farmers Leadership Centre.
- A Request for expression of interest carried out in Media.Out of the Nineteen (19) companies that expressed interest, thirteen (13) were shortlisted.
- The shortlisted bidders were taken for site orientation at Kampiringisa.
- The companies were evaluated and a contract was awarded to Dimensions Uganda Ltd to design the Leadership Centre.
- The final design for the NFLC was developed and approved by the NFLC Technical Committee
6. Contracting the contractor to construct the NFLC.
KOICA advertised expression of interest in the news papers and ten (10) firms responded.
A Pre-Qualification (PQ) Evaluation was done and six (6) firms were selected and taken for site orientation on 16th October 2012 and thereafter submitted their financial bids. Prism Group of Companies was awarded the contract to construct the NFLC and she will start construction immediately when fencing is done.
7. Tax Exemptions
MAAIF wrote to the Permanent Secretary/ Secretary to the Treasury MOFPED, requesting for granting a tax waiver on machinery and materials to be imported from Korea as highlighted in the MOU. However according to the response from MOFPED a common ground has not been reached. MAAIF, MOFPEP and Chairman NFLC Technical Committee are to have a meeting and agree on tax exemption.
8. Training of Ugandan Personnel in Korea
A team of 10 officials (NFLC Technical Committee attended the NFLC managersí training course in South Korea at Canaan Global Leadership Center.
20 instructors will be traveling to South Korea for a Trainer of Trainers in September 2013.
9. Sensitization of the Mpigi Communities on the NFLC project
Mpigi District LG, Political Leaders, Religious leaders were sensitized, however more sanitizations mainly the local communities are needed.
10. Developing the NFLC Position Paper and Curriculum
The NAADS Secretariat is in the process of recruiting a consultant to develop the NFLC Position Paper and NFLC curriculum.